"Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~Margaret Mead

Monday, May 22, 2006

Term 2
We are one week into Term 2 and we also have a new timetable which means a new schedule. There is a library with both shelves and books at my school which has been inactive for quite some time now. In an effort to get it into shape and open for use by the learners, administration has changed a few things to allow me to have the opportunity to initiate this endeavor. As opposed to co-teaching grade 11 and 12 physical science (which clearly was not working out,) I have been given sole responsibility of the grade 11 class and the other teacher will continue with the grade 12 class while I will continue HIGCSE classes for the grade 12 learners after-school with mandatory attendance by my co-teacher. In place of those 6 periods, I now have 3 grade 12 classes and 3 grade 9 classes to which I am supposed to teach Basic Information or Arts but was told to use those periods to have learners work in the library. Once I figure out the catalogue and registration systems, it will definitely be feasible to take the grade 12 classes in there to work but I am afraid that two of the grade 9 classes will be counter-productive. We will see what happens.

I started a Question Box for my grade 11 class. I would like to say that it was entirely for their benefit in being able to ask me questions about things they are wondering but I must admit, there is a bit of entertainment in there for me. They are allowed to ask anything and I will read the questions aloud to the class and answer them unless it is something personal that the learner wants to discuss privately. In the three days of having this Question Box, here are the questions:

- Miss, why don’t you give us hidings, are you not used to that.
- Question 1- If the planets are traveling around on the orbit in the space then what is covering the space, surely they are inside something.
(Translation, I think- What surrounds space?)
Question 2- Which one came first the: human beings or the dinosaurs. If the dinosaurs came first, where did they come from.
- Dear Miss Devin, Do you like pizza and if you do, will you accept it if I get you one and not go crazy and want to pay me back or share it with the class?
NB: You are a great teacher and I appreciate it highly 4 what you go through to help us.
(This is definitely in reference to me making them cut the cake in 26 pieces and for me paying, just like the learners, N$5 for curry buns that some of the learners made for everyone.)
- Miss, when are our names going to appear on the notice board.
(I am not sure what notice board the learner means and for what reason their names would appear on it.)
- Hi there. What cause the rainbow?
- Why do people fall in love for the wrong reasons?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes do tell...why do people fall in love for the wrong reasons?
and will you accept a pizza if i buy it for you?!
i hope you answered all those questions...there is the answer that love is all science...phernomes, right? something like that!
oh courtney
your learners must love you!
wish i was in your class!
lots of love
cathie

12:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home