"Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~Margaret Mead

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

29 March 2006

So today is my birthday. As many of you know, I do not like celebrating my birthday. Please, it is just another day. Here in Rehoboth though, it is a day to celebrate you. My grade 11 class knew it was my birthday. At the beginning of the year I had made little signs listing all of their birthdays and over time, they were able to get out of me my birthday. On the 28th, some of the girls asked me for the key to my room so they could do a little something in the morning and told me I must wear that skirt that makes me look so nice and eyeshadow. I awoke on the 29th, showered, dressed in skirt, ate breakfast and began my walk to school as the first signs of a sunrise were beginning to show. I arrived at school, signed in at the main office and proceeded to my place in the staff room to find a plastic cup filled with beautiful handpicked flowers and a note from Auntie Koena, a very sweet and affectionate older woman who is always impressed with my pathetic Afrikaans and is responsible for caring for the school by cleaning and doing other jobs. They called a teacher’s meeting where we said the Our Father and then one of the senior staff members wished me a happy birthday and talked for a few minutes about me and being a part of the school. After singing happy birthday, many of the teachers gave me a hug and kiss, congratulated me and wished me well on my first birthday in Namibia despite being so far from family and friends. I went to the classroom where my learners would be writing their biology exam. After the hour of sitting and staring at them (because that is how you invigilate an exam) we proceeded to my classroom where my learners locked themselves inside with possession of the key. They finally let me in to be overwhelmed by a great deal of 11D love- on my desk were two cups filled with handpicked flowers, my board was decorated with birthday wishes, making excellent use of the colored chalk, and there was also a cake sitting amidst the flowers. They sang happy birthday and followed the tune with this clapping at each number until they reached my age. Earlier in the year when they asked my age, I told them I was 15. It took them a second before they realized I was joking but today, when they clapped to my age they stopped at 16 and said it was my sweet sixteen. And then despite fervent protests from them, I demanded that they cut the cake into 26 pieces because I would not be happy eating the cake alone. We enjoyed the cake and they insisted that I was to do nothing all day until after school when I could spend the time celebrating. As more learners learned of my birthday, the day was filled with birthday wishes, hugs and my best 9th grade student wrote me this very sweet and beautifully decorated note:
To a Wonderful Teacher
I just want to tell you to enjoy the precious day God blessed you with. You are a very nice teacher and I really like you a lot. I hope you enjoy this wonderful day although you are so far away from your loving family and friends. Please enjoy your day here in Rehoboth.
Lots of love,
The learner


After a meeting of the science club, some marking (grading) of exam papers, and receiving some wonderful calls from those who could managed to get through from home, I went for a cooldrink at the karaoke place, LePalace, with one of the teachers and relaxed while listening to a few of the talented singers of Rehoboth. I returned to finish marking and to enjoy a night of mefloquine-influenced dreams beneath my mosquito net feeling very much like a true princess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home