17 March 2006, en route to Swakopmund
I scribbled this down on one of those magazine subscription cards from The New Yorker en route in a combi to Swakopmund.
It is really quite incredible right now. As I am driving along in this combi with half my butt cheek hanging off the seat, I am looking ahead at 3 contrasting views. To the left, a mountain ridge, shades of green and brown stand against the pale purplish gray of the overcast sky while straight ahead stretches the open road beneath a brilliant sunset of pink and orange sherbet bursts among the green mountain tops. To the right lies the vast, open land – pale green and wheat-colored grass, desert bush always inferior to the far-off mountains which rest beneath the shadows of the big, low-hanging misty clouds. The sky is a distinct blue that shies away from the boldness of the fiery setting sun just to its left. The scene creates an interesting contrast - the peace and calm against the passion and temper. I wish I were good at descriptions.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home