23 March 2006
I was walking home from the grocery store this afternoon through Block A as opposed to walking the main road. (A long side note: Rehoboth is divided into Blocks- A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. You could compare it to neighborhoods. The idea of these Blocks and why they are labeled as such is something that is not really discussed and to my knowledge the division of the town into Blocks is only done here in Rehoboth, nowhere else in Namibia. I think Block A is the original Block. Block D is where you will find the mansions (yup, there are mansions here. I have walked down the main street alongside a donkey cart and a Mercedes will drive by and then moments later, there will be people riding horses and a BMW will cruise down the road.) Block F and G are the newer Blocks, not particularly wealthy. Block E is the location. Location is an apartheid term used to label the poorest section of the town, traditionally comprised of the blacks. After the apartheid ended, every location has a name. For example, the location in Windhoek is called Katatura. Here, it is Block E.)
To continue- So as I was walking through this neighborhood, I passed by a house with some children playing in the yard and there is a little boy standing there, up against the fence peeing from his yard into the street like it ain’t no thing. It made me smile.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home