"Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~Margaret Mead

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

NAMIBIA LAND OF THE BRAVE

I am writing this post during my first rainstorm here in Namibia where there is over 300 days of sun every year. Being that this time of year is considered the rainy season and I have been in Namibia for 12 days with nothing more than a brief shower, it is good news for the people of Namibia. It turns out that the last time it rained here in Rehoboth (my permanent site) was about a month and a half ago and before that, it had been about 7 months…very different from the gray days that become all too familiar in New England.

Here are a few moments from my time here so far…
Our welcome to Namibia- we were greeted by PC staff and a secondary school choir in Omaruru. Omaruru will be our homebase until we swear in as PC volunteers in January and then head off to our permanent sites. The learners (students in Namibia) sang beautifully in both Afrikaans and English. I had goosebumps while they sang and found myself attempting to process the flood of emotions that had been building up to that point. It was a special moment and I am grateful to those learners and the staff for it.
The land of Namibia- Whether I am driving along the highway, out running with the rising sun or just walking around during the day, I am able to appreciate the beautiful contrast that exists between the reddish tones of the sand with the green of the acacia tree that grows up into the bright blue cloudless sky.
The wildlife- Springbok (translates into bouncing goat and was also a part of my first meal in Namibia), kudu, wildebeests, ostrich (on a reservation or an ostrich farm), scorpions and spiders that find their way around camp, giraffe, warthogs and baboons (both either crossing or along the road.)
The sky- it is just so big! The sunsets are beautiful, again the brilliant colors contrasting with the land. And at night, the stargazing is unlike anything I have seen before-the number of stars and how much they twinkle. On my first night stargazing I was even able to see Orion. The sky, whether night or day, just seems to wrap around you.

Until next time, peace and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home